|The FIA Foundation are hiring a Media and Public Affairs Manager, to join the policy, advocacy and programmes team, to proactively raise the profile of the organisation within key national and international media. You will play a central role in developing and implementing an integrated communications and advocacy programme aimed at promoting the work of the FIA Foundation to a wider audience and policymakers.
The FIA Foundation has an international reputation for innovative global road safety philanthropy; practical environmental research and interventions to improve air quality and tackle climate change. Along with their international partners, they provide high impact strategic advocacy in the areas of road traffic injury prevention and motor vehicle fuel efficiency. FIA Foundation exists to ensure ‘Safe, Clean, Fair and Green’ mobility for all, playing a part to ensure a sustainable future.
The new Media and Public Affairs Manager will be have sole responsibility for external communications activity and will be charged with transforming the Foundation’s public profile. You will need to be proactive, bold, creative and able to work with both UK and International Media.
You will shape the Foundation’s messages, raise their profile and promote their agenda. Working as a key part of a small and closely knit team, and in collaboration with a diverse range of international and national partners, you will coordinate media and public affairs delivery of the Foundation’s key programmes and activities.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Saul Billingsley, you will work closely with him as well as other members of the leadership team to generate profile raising opportunities and coverage of their reports and activities globally.
The overall purpose of the role is to lead on the development and implementation of an integrated communications and public affairs strategy, with the aim of significantly raising the profile of the Foundation’s work.
Main responsibilities include:
Key skills and experience:
- Act as the main media liaison for the Foundation, communicating projects and activities to media and securing coverage in targeted national and international media
- Build and support relationship with policymakers, journalists and international coalitions and networks
- Provide briefings and advice; draft reports, letters, articles and speeches for the Executive Director, senior staff and chairman
- Assist the Executive Director in his media, public affairs and external relations roles
- Provide a research function on public affairs developments and opportunities that affect the Foundation’s work
- Manage social media strategy, and contribute to the Foundation’s online presence, publications and communications
- Extensive experience in and a track record delivering proactive, profile raising media relations activity
- An understanding of or experience in public relations and policy
- An extensive nose for a news story and an ability to identify creative angles on issues that aren’t obviously newsworthy
- An ability to work autonomously and influence key stakeholders who don’t have a communications background
- An ability to quickly understand and disseminate complex policy issues
- Exceptional ability to build relationships externally and a willingness to work with both national and international media and partners
- Meticulous attention to detail and outstanding written English
Please send your CV using the apply for this role button, quoting reference JG-1706-4771.